Monday 19 October 2009

Jingles Evaluation

Evaluation

The task that was given was to create three jingles that were suitable to be used on the radio station SNC Live, which is the college’s own radio station. To do this we were using the programme ADOBE Sound booth on the apple imacs, this programme was okay but has got a few “teething problems” and has a tendency to freeze or come up with unexpected errors meaning you have to shut down the programme and end up loosing all your work, meaning you have to start again. The three different jingles that we had to produce were a show promotion, a news jingle and a station ident. Out of the three jingles the one which I found hardest was the news jingle because it was fairly hard to get it to fit with a target audience and still sound good, the one which I found easiest was the station ident as it was able to fit with any music and still sound fairly good, the show promotion was also fairly easy for the same reason.

For the news jingle I got a song off the internet of a site called www.soundsnap.com I was able to get this sound by using a link and recording it straight from the speakers to the microphone via the linking cable, this worked really well meaning that I got no background noise. I was also able to get a mans voice saying news off the same site, using the same method. I then copied this and changed the pitch on one of them so that it was higher and sounded completely different, and then put these with the track so that they played over and over again. This was effective as people said that it was hypnotic in a good way, and it meant that you definitely knew what was coming up next.

For the station ident I got some music off YouTube and again used the link to record it. I then recorded myself saying SNC Live and put this playing with the track simultaneously the only trouble with recording myself was that we had to record using the built in microphone and the background noise was very bad as it picked up everything that was going on, luckily when it was playing with the music you couldn’t hear any of the background noise so it sounded fairly good in the headphones that I was using whilst creating all of my jingles, although it did sound very different in the speakers when played to the class.

For the show promotion again I used YouTube for my background track and this time I also used www.soundsnap.com to get some various voice over’s rather than recording my own voice and running the risk of getting in all of the background noise. Again to get this tracks I used a link and again it worked really well. Then I put the voice over’s that I had got in various places in the track and it sounded very professional and very good I was very happy at how it had came out. This reflected with what people said as they all thought it was excellent and all said that it worked really well.

Over all I thought that my jingles worked well and did what they were supposed to do and could be used on the radio if needed. If I did it again I would have a different way to record my voice as the background noise was very loud and I did have to record two or three times to get it so that I was happy with how it sounded. Also I may have used a different programme or made sure that the many teething problems within the programme had been sorted, so that I didn’t have to start over again, which happened once.

No comments:

Post a Comment